iPhoto for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anti-microsoft, Jun 19, 2011.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Hi there,

I'm a recent owner of an iPad and one of the major features it lacks is the ability to manage photos. It is possible but it's very clunky. I know iOS 5 will bring some improvements in that area but I still think that Apple should bring an iPhoto solution to the iPad and thus complete the iLife suite for iOS (since iMovie and Garageband are already available on the platform).

Importing photos with the camera connection kit is a great feature, although managing said photos afterwards is a real pain. If you edit a photo in a third party application, it doesn't save the changes on top of the preexisting photograph. It doesn't even save it in the preexisting "All Imports" folder. Instead, it saves it in the Camera Roll as a new photograph.

This is a shame because the potential for the iPad being the greatest companion device for a photographer is there, it's just being limited by a software barrier.

Anyone else feel the same?

- Ams.

2. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Actually, Apple regards the Photos app as being iPhoto. In their developer guideline discussions they talk about this fact. So I don't expect them to add a separate app. Most likely they will continue to refine the existing Photos app. But I doubt they'll do image editing.

3. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Really? That's interesting... I'm aware of the changes made in the Photos.app of the iPhone in iOS 5 (not sure if the editing features are on the iPad, can anyone confirm?). I just think that it would be a great opportunity for Apple since they have great photo editing software for consumers and professionals on the Mac and want to promote their "Post-PC" devices.

-Ams.

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I think that it will come sooner then later.
    As you said they have started to show some of that on the iPhone with iOS 5
    They just have their hands full right now and will need some features for later updates to stay current and ahead of the curve.
    And as our devices are getting more powerful things will change fast.

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

ios changes to photo.app will be on the ipad as well. What options are you looking for? Apple may not want to get too avanced as there are a plethora of photo editing options for ipad.

As you know ios will bring folder management, which is the one thing third party apps cannot add.

If you are looking to crop, adjust, remove redeye, etc.. try photogene - inexpensive and works well. Between that and the ios 5 photos.app, you should have everything you need except faces.

6. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah well, I felt the same about music apps. Then Garageband came along and blew them all out of the water. I guess If Apple released iPhoto for iOS, it would be the same.

Ams.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

8. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

I meant that I thought that the music apps on the iPad were amazing and couldn't get any better. Then GarageBand came along and put them all to shame. I think that if Apple released iPhoto for the iPad, the current photo-editing apps would pale in comparison.

Ams.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Same here. I felt the same.

I love the camera connection kit, they're very handy ;)

Actually I'm hoping Aperture for iPad, just some useful adjustment like brush, coping and effects. The point of it is I can export a library from my iPad and import it to my Mac. Also, I'm hoping they will release Aperture 4 for Mac too, at the moment, Aperture 3 is not very stable :mad:

Well who knows what's next :D