Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphoto1074.jpg

Earlier today, Apple announced iPhoto for iPad.

On its iPhoto for iPad webpage, Apple includes an ad for iPhoto for the Mac. Oddly, as seen in the picture above, the system requirements listed for iPhoto for Mac includes the as-yet unreleased OS X 10.7.4. It could be a simple typo, or it could be a hint that a new version of OS X is forthcoming.

Thanks Arnold!

Article Link: iPhoto for Mac to Require Unreleased OS X 10.7.4?

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Well they just released an update to iPhoto through Software Update that seems to work fine on 10.7.3. Adds the ability to remove photos from your Photostream FYI.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
.4 seems pretty questionable considering there hasn't been any word of it being seeded. No doubt there will be that release at some point but still probably a ways off.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
.4 seems pretty questionable considering there hasn't been any word of it being seeded. No doubt there will be that release at some point but still probably a ways off.

Remember that Apple released 10.6.4 without releasing any seeds. It only differed from 10.6.3 by App Store if I remember correctly.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Possible but I doubt it considering the other bugs in 10.7.3.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Possible but I doubt it considering the other bugs in 10.7.3.

Which will be fixed in 10.7.5, exactly as Apple dealed with 10.6.3 issues skipping to do anything about them in 10.6.4.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
iPhoto iOS is really different from iPhoto OS X, maybe there will be a new version that is released after 10.7.4?

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
The system requirements are probably for a new version of iPhoto that has not been released. iLife 2012?

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
The system requirements are probably for a new version of iPhoto that has not been released. iLife 2012?

I think we'll see a new iPhoto around the 10.8 release that includes a lot of the features from iPhoto iOS.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
They changed it:

iPhoto for Mac works with any Mac running OS X v10.6.8 or later.

Actually, iPhoto for Mac, or iPhoto '11, is part of iLife '11, and the Apple specs for iLife '11 specify OS X v10.6.3 or later. Of course, it definitely will run on v10.6.8 or later.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
They changed it:

iPhoto for Mac works with any Mac running OS X v10.6.8 or later.

Actually, iPhoto for Mac, or iPhoto '11, is part of iLife '11, and the Apple specs for iLife '11 specify OS X v10.6.3 or later. Of course, it definitely will run on v10.6.8 or later.

The new iPhoto 11' includes Journals.

From Apple's website :

http://www.apple.com/apps/iphoto/

journals.jpg

Show off your photo journals right on your iPad or iPhone. Or publish them as beautiful web pages that you can share with family and friends using iCloud.

I don't think iPhoto 11 ( the real version ) has been released yet. I think there's going to be a desktop version that replaces iWeb.

I did a test one here

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
The new iPhoto 11' includes Journals.

No it doesn't.

I think around ML release we'll see a new version of iPhoto that will:

- support creating and editing journals on the Mac
- Have the look and feel of iOS iPhoto
- Have the brushes and colors from iOS iPhoto
- Have Apple's map data instead of Google Maps (may be another reason for the delay if it's not ready yet)
- Have the 'show multiple similar photos' feature.
- Hopefully sync directly with iOS iPhoto
- Be built for 10.8 but support 10.7.4 minimum.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No it doesn't.

- Have Apple's map data instead of Google Maps (may be another reason for the delay if it's not ready yet)

My bad. I should have said it will.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
I think we'll see a new iPhoto around the 10.8 release that includes a lot of the features from iPhoto iOS.

It might be optimistic to expect it to arrive with 10.8, but sometime in the latter half of this year, and definitely not before 10.8 is released.

At the very least, they need to update iPhoto for Mac to support the new "beam" feature for transferring photos (+ their lossless edits) to/from iPhoto iOS, and doing that requires that iPhoto for Mac support in its core editing stack all of the manipulations now in the iOS version. And if they need to support those features under the covers, they might as well also design interface elements to let you use them. So, a new iPhoto for Mac that offers something closer to feature parity with the new iOS version seems inevitable.

It's basically the same situation as exists with the iWork suite on iOS versus OS X: you can see where they're headed, especially now with the Mountain Lion demos of seamless sharing between the two through iCloud document storage, but they're not there yet. Mountain Lion is clearly the target point for bringing support for iCloud on OS X and iWorks for Mac into sync with the iOS counterparts.

dudemac

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Yeah, it'll be helpful to edit these on a Mac.

Hot girl is hot.

The Journal feature is 80% what we had with MobileMe gallery. I was disappointed they canned that feature so I'm glad to see something that resembles it.

I agree that is one thing that I was worried about recreating all my mobileMe galleries. The things that are not good so far are no easy way to share page. Yes you can send the link, but it was much easier to say just go to gallery.me.com/"userid" and then your publicly shared galleries would be. It also allowed you to let users upload photos. Great for event sharing were there are multiple photographers. Also there does not seem to be a way to block downloading of the photos. This also brings up another point. Gallery allowed downloading a whole group of photos as a zip file.
It will be much better when the transition is complete and all this stuff works better. They could have easily used galleries for sync, and this new album feature of iphoto. One of the things I am going to miss the most is being able to subscribe to others public galleries and have their photos show up in my iPhoto. Very useful for family picture sharing.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
And now the first beta of 10.7.4 is seeded, as expected it looks to be a normal beta cycle with a few betas and a release weeks from now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.