iPhoto freezes MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rdgallo, May 26, 2014.

1. Rdgallo macrumors newbie

My macbook pro was working fine until i tried to view some pictures from my camera sd card. The macbook didn't recognize the sd card when i inserted it. I removed the card and then clicked on iphotos. The computer then locked up and the only way i could do anything was to power it off holding the power button down. After it restarted, i clicked on iphoto and the computer locked up again. Any idea of what is wrong and how i can fix this?
    Thanks!

2. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess no one has ever messed their computer up the same way I have. Bad thing about this is the computer that's on the fritz belongs to my wife amd I messed it up.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Have you tried restoring OSX and reinstalling from a backup?

4. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure I understand. I have backed this computer up several times on an external portable device, but not in the last couple of months. If I restore the OS, will it wipe out all the pictures I have in iphoto? I am not familiar with macs at all. And thank you for trying to help

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

You may need to rebuild the iPhoto database. Hold down the option key when starting iPhoto and you will get the repair options.

You shouldn't need to reinstall OS X. At most you may need to reinstall iPhoto.

Finally, change your backup strategy. If you haven't backed up in a couple of months, that means everything created in that time is at risk. Most backups should be continuous or at least daily.

6. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. If I do what you suggest, will i lose all my pictures? How do I just reinstall iphoto?

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Your photo's will be safe, it is just the program that will be reinstalled.

Barney

8. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Go to Applications and drag iPhoto to the trash can (or right click it and send to trash).
    Go to the App Store and download and install iPhoto again.

Barney

10. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. This method will not erase the photos? Man, if I delete all my wife's photos, I prolly will be looking for a place to stay.

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Do a backup first. The pix are stored separately from the program. Deleting the program doesn't affect the data.

12. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Glen. This thing is now freezing up without me clicking on iphotos. I am beginning to think it might be something major wrong. I did find the original application disc and the original mac osx disc.

13. MzAnnB macrumors newbie

Having the same Problem with Iphoto

I have the same exact problem after the update a few days ago it "appear" to be fixed, we will see. But my iphoto would freeze just going from pic to pic and viewing info on the sd card. I would have to insert my card several times before it would ID the SD Card.

14. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE....... I took it to a repair shop and am waiting on the diagnostics. My guess is the hard drive is going bad.

15. Rdgallo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just was told by my computer repair shop that the logic board is bad and they recommend replacing the computer rather than paying $700 + for a new board. I did a search and see there are class action suits with Apple about this issue. Does anyone know anything about this?

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If in the US you should be able to have serviced at depot for about $325.