iPhoto gone with new ML install

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chaoticbear, Aug 25, 2012.

1. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

I was a fairly avid user of Photo Stream in Lion before doing a clean install of Mountain Lion. iPhoto was not installed with the ML installer from the App Store, and now I can't find any conceivable way to use it.

I resent the idea that I'd have to pay $15 to get a "new" copy of iPhoto, since the one that originally came on my MBA was working just fine. I'd like to find a way to (preferably) access my Photo Stream without iPhoto, but even as a backup, find some way to reinstall the version of iPhoto that my computer originally shipped with.

2. cvaldes macrumors 68040

Apple includes the iLife apps with the original factory installation of the operating system for the computer in question. They do not include these applications with standalone OS X installers.

It's been like this for years and years.

If you bought Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard installation DVDs, they didn't have iLife applications on them.

You need to use the restore tools (DVD or USB key) to bring your computer to factory condition, then upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Note that if you want some of the deprecated iLife applications, you'd need to do the same thing. I have the installation DVDs for iLife '06, '08 and '11 and since then iMovie HD, iDVD, and iWeb have all been discontinued. I need to use the installation DVDs if I want those old apps on my Mac.

I purchased Lion from the Mac App Store and created an installation DVD; like previous OS X installers, there are no iLife apps on that DVD. Same with Mountain Lion.

Good luck.

3. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clear, informative answer, to be sure.

I can't imagine the headache it would be to get out my Snow Leopard USB stick, restore my drive, then somehow download Lion from the app store, then redownload ML from the app store. If no one knows of a workaround, I'll just spend the $15 this time and know better next time.

4. TinHead88, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

You could also navigate through the restore disk to see if there is an iPhoto install package.
    You will most likely have to enable invisible items and then look in System/Installations/Packages.
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36771/hideswitch (is a convenient way to show/hide invisible files)

5. cvaldes, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

cvaldes macrumors 68040

It's a shame you didn't research this before you erased your MacBook Air's boot drive.

The way to do this would have been to download the Mountain Lion installer and create a boot thumbdrive/DVD, then erase your MacBook Air, restore from the Snow Leopard USB restore stick, login, then upgrade to Mountain Lion.

This is why keeping a physical copy of installation tools is helpful. I'm perfectly fine with Apple's concept of digital delivery. However, they should make it easier for people to create installation images (DVD or USB stick).

At this point, I suggest you pony up the $15 and buy iPhoto from the Mac App Store and just write off those fifteen bucks as learning. And when the next major version of iPhoto comes out, be grateful that Apple has split up the iLife apps into individual purchases, so you don't have to pony up the package price (no longer available) for just one application.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There should be a package on your install media called "Install Bundled Software" (or something to that effect), which will allow you to install iPhoto without having to restore everything else to the factory version.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Check the App Store under purchases... it's probably sitting there waiting for you to install it again. Goodness knows I've done my share of clean installs and can't get rid of it (and GarageBand)

8. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When I bought new computers since Apple introduced the Mac App Store, the purchase included options to "accept" free versions of iLife programs. Are you sure they are not in your purchases?

/Jim

9. AppliedMicro, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

- Mac with 10.7 or newer preinstalled: No physical install media. iLife applications can be "accepted" for free from the Mac App Store.

- Macs that were shipped with 10.6.8 or older preinstalled all came with physical install media included. Usually DVDs, in some cases a USB key (2010 MacBook Air). The gray DVDs came in pairs - one for the OS X install, one for bundled applications (iLife). Bundled applications should also install more subsequent OS releases. There's no need to install the original OS the computer shipped with.

Upgrading these Macs' OS by buying Lion or Mountain Lion from the Mac App store does not provide free copies of bundled applications from the Mac App store (though I think they may become available from the Mac App store if you accept them on another, more recent Mac with the same Apple ID).

10. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

This. Magic. It's the late 2010 MBA, and I have a stick to reinstall. I thought it was only good for reinstalling OS X (Snow Leopard) in my case, but it autoprompts just an iLife install.

Every computer I've had and upgrade I've done (since Leopard) I just did as an upgrade, I felt like it was time for a fresh install. Glad to see that everything's resolved.

11. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

Glad it worked :)

Though I made a slight typo in my previous post..: It's of course the 2010 MacBook Air with 10.6 Snow Leopard as original OS that includes a USB key (I have one myself) - while the 2011 MBA came with Lion, to be restored via Internet Recovery.