iphoto hanging when downloading from my iphone

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by djrobsd, Dec 12, 2016.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I have about 12,000 photos on my iphone. Ouch. My 128GB iPhone 6+ is almost out of memory, and has been slowing down and lagging worse and worse as time goes on.

So, I finally decided to just get all the photos off the phone. Some of them have been downloading to iphoto via photo stream, so it looks like out of the 12,000 there might be 4000 that are actually missing. Where it gets stuck is during this comparison process, most of the thumb nails are missing, and it's still comparing, it has gotten up to like 10,000 of the 12,000 but then it runs out of application memory.

I have 24 gigs of RAM. 400 gigs of free space on my boot volume, and 700 gigs of free space on the drive where my iPhoto library is.

When I look at activity monitor, I have a kernel_task taking 14.21 gig, mds_stores 5.17gb, iphoto is only using 701MB, image capture extension is using 326MB. I force quit all open apps except iphoto, but it still bombs with just iPhoto open.. Not to mention takes FOREVER.

I'm just wondering what might cause this, is my picture library in iPhoto too big? It says physical memory 24GB, Memory Used 22.69GB, Virtual Memory 80.04GB, and swap used 3.70GB. App Memory 5.82GB, wired memory 2.66Gb, and compressed 12.38GB

I am thinking maybe I can just create a new iphoto library, download all 12,000 and then use iPhoto library manager to merge the two libraries and eliminate duplicates, unless anyone has any ideas how to make this work?

When I quit iphoto the kernel_task drops down to 2.21GB, and app memory in use drops to 1.37GB, memory used drops to 5.26GB. I'm assuming once I reboot those numbers will go down even further. I have nothing running in the background (i.e. anti virus software, tray applications, etc.)

2. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

SOLVED. Created new iphoto library. Plugged iphone in and waited patiently for about 20 minutes while it parsed all the photos and then clicked the import button once it came up. 2 hours later the photos are imported and the iphone is deleting them off.. VERY SLOWLY. It's so weird to sit and watch the iphone wipe the photos after you say yes, you can see them disappear from your library.