iPhoto help - copies of modified photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ViperrepiV, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

Hello all,

I just got my first mac tonight.....a macbook air. I must say, it is pretty amazing.

But experimenting, i discovered that if you modify a photo, iPhoto makes a copy of it somewhere in its library (and on your hard drive). Does anyone know how to prevent iphoto from doing this? If i modify a photo, I just want it to overwrite the original (and not waste disk space).

I have already un-checked the option to duplicate photos upon importing them into the library.....any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats how iPhoto works. if you dont want this to happen then you should maybe look at using Aperture or another pro photo editing application. Apple has enabled this so switching back to the original is a snap.

generally people say that you shouldnt go messing around in the iPhoto library and do all your editing in iPhoto itself. believe me as soon as you start messing around in the iPhoto library some problem will arise. this is why Apple made the library a package rather than a folder for iPhoto '08.

a workaround would be to search for the original photo in spotlight, preview it to make sure its the original and then trash it.

also ive noticed that you cant use the iPhoto library in the Deskop Background and Screen Saver preferences if you dont copy photos to the iPhoto library. you just get a blue screen when picking a photo and the mosaic screen saver doesnt work. thats why ive now switched to copying my files to the library. im hoping this is a bug and is fixed soon.

3. Syonidism macrumors regular

i just get all the modified ones and move them to the originals file after a while. saves up the space and don't really have to worry about losing the disk space...

Stupid feature imho, why use up so much HD space when you can just cmd+z?

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Well, once yu have quit iPhoto, cmd-z no longer works to "go back". The feature of keeping originals is actually quite great. I have many times edited a photo, and then have learned something new that will make it even better, and being able to go to the original and start fresh is wonderful. I thank iPhoto for taking such good care of our photos!