iPhoto help needed...upgrading...recovered photos...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crowe-t, Mar 19, 2014.

1. crowe-t, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

crowe-t macrumors member

crowe-t

I recently switched from a G5 tower to a late 2009 Mac Mini. The G5 was running OS 10.4.11. The Mac Mini is running OS 10.6.8.

I imported the whole iPhoto Library from the G5 to the Mac Mini. When I opened up iPhoto it said it needed to be upgraded. I had tried this and during the 'upgrade' it stated there was 'recovered' photos and I was asked if I wanted to load them.

After I loaded the recovered photos extra folders were created in the pictures folder. I'm not sure if these extra folders are just duplicate photos.

I deleted the entire iPhoto Library and imported it again.

Should I click on 'Yes' to load the recovered photos or not?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

A friend (not myself) who also takes a lot of photos made a similar "move", from a G5 tower to a late 2012 Mini.

He complained that getting his photos from the old iPhoto to the new version was a lot of work, but he got it done.

My -guess- (and it's ONLY a "guess") is that you should try the "recover" option and see what that does for you.

You have kept the old drive from the g5 that has the old iPhoto library still on it, correct?

Whatever you do, don't "let that go" until you've got iPhoto up and running smoothly on the Mini. Preserve and protect it!

3. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I'm not totally familiar with iPhoto as I use Aperture, but I'm going to take a guess here and assume that the export options are similar. In Aperture you can export previews only, or the full photographs....If you choose the preview only option, only thumbs are exported. If you choose the latter option, the entire library is exported...If you have a rough idea of how many pictures are involved here, you should be able to tell which option has been used.

My project libraries ( which are large ) run in at 12GB when exported in full mode...I've never tried the preview only option as it seems rather pointless to me, but the file sizes should give you a clue here.

4. crowe-t, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

crowe-t thread starter macrumors member

crowe-t

I got a bit confused. I just attempted to set up iPhoto again on the Mac Mini.

As before,when I opened up iPhoto it said it needed to be upgraded. After I selected 'upgrade' it stated '450 photos have been found in the iPhoto Library that are not a part of this photo library'.

When I first attempted this what I noticed is there are additional folders named 'iPhoto Library Recovered Photos' in my Pictures folder.

[​IMG]

Does this window(screenshot pictured above) mean that these (450) photos are just not a part of the new Mac Mini's photo library and need to be added?

Fishrrman - Yes I have the original iPhoto library on the old drive and on a back up drive.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I would try "importing" the photos and see what happens.

If worse comes to worse, you could always just trash the new iPhoto library and start over, using the files from the old drive...

6. crowe-t thread starter macrumors member

crowe-t

I've done this and it creates additional folders(iPhoto Library Recovered Photos) in the pictures folder.

I'm not sure if the photos in the iPhoto Library Recovered Photos folders are also part of the iPhoto library as well.