Iphoto Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Patrick7121, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Patrick7121 macrumors newbie

Hi I was having problems with my iphoto so I deleted iphoto(just the app) and installed a newer version. I backed up all my files by saving them in a separate folder using Picasa. Now when I open the new iphoto it says I can install from a previous iphoto library. I stupidly deleted that thinking I wouldn't need it after I backed everything up. Also now if I choose to make a new iphoto library and try to import those photos back to iphoto through File-> Import it has an error that says there is not enough disk space.:mad: I currently have about 35GB of disk space on my computer.
    Any ideas?
    Is it possible to convert my photos I backed up into a iphoto library type file without iphoto(to replace the one I deleted(maybe that would work?))?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

iPhoto is not the greatest software when it comes to protecting your data. You can get to all your old photos in the iPhoto library you backed up by picking it and selecting "show package contents".

What I now do for iPhoto is I keep several hundred gigs of photos and movies on an external drive. When I add them to iPhoto, I have "do not copy to library" selected so I don't wind up with several hundred gigs of iPhoto library on my already full hard drive. Now my iPhoto library is only about 5 percent the size of the photos it represents. I've come to the conclusion I should organize my own photos by year and date taken and let iPhoto handle the meta data like faces and places but that's as far as it goes.

Since your iPhoto is complaining about disk space, I suggest you try the same thing. Keep your original photos on an external drive and don't let iPhoto make its own copies of them. Of course it's not a good idea to go moving those files around after importing them to iPhoto.