Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtomac2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
ok so im my daughter was in downloads history in finder and accidently deleted all the stuff in the "today" tab and now my iPhoto will not launch. I hope all my pictures are not lost, the trash is empty. How can i fix this?:(

Nov 28, 2010
located
Stop all writing process to the Mac (downloading something and copying something to it), better not use it until you get an external HDD and a copy of Data Rescue, as that will be able to recover most, maybe all, of the deleted photos, especially if they are not in the Trash.
I suppose you don't have backups?

newtomac2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Stop all writing process to the Mac (downloading something and copying something to it), better not use it until you get an external HDD and a copy of Data Rescue, as that will be able to recover most, maybe all, of the deleted photos, especially if they are not in the Trash.
I suppose you don't have backups?

Thanks for the help, is "data rescue" something i need to purchase?
Oh, and no i did not have a backup, i have time machine but have not configured it, not really sure how to do it, when i tried it said something about not finding an airport connection.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes.

Oh, and no i did not have a backup, i have time machine but have not configured it, not really sure how to do it, when i tried it said something about not finding an airport connection.

If you have an external HDD, connect it directly to your Mac and go to System Preferences > Time Machine and select that HDD and Mac OS X will do the rest.
But if the HDD uses another format than "Mac OS Extended", it has to be formatted, which means all the data has to be copied off the HDD first.
But wait until you recovered all your photos to start Time Machine.
Also have a look at this: Time Machine FAQ

And to learn more about Mac OS X:

newtomac2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011

Thank you so much, its all starting to make a little more sense now.

newtomac2011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Yes.

If you have an external HDD, connect it directly to your Mac and go to System Preferences > Time Machine and select that HDD and Mac OS X will do the rest.
But if the HDD uses another format than "Mac OS Extended", it has to be formatted, which means all the data has to be copied off the HDD first.
But wait until you recovered all your photos to start Time Machine.
Also have a look at this: Time Machine FAQ
Thank you, but do you know why my iPhoto will not open, it just gives me the wheel.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you, but do you know why my iPhoto will not open, it just gives me the wheel.

Maybe it was deleted too, or some files associated with it. If you want your photos recovered, hold off on reinstalling iPhoto and run Data Rescue first.

Btw, if all is well again, create another Standard user account for your daughter, thus something like this can't happen again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.