Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magnum72576

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
upstate ny
I have say 500 photos in my library. I would like to organize them in albums. What I would like to do is drag 100 of them over to 5 different albums, leaving me with none in my library or all photos. I can't figure this out. What is the point of organizing them in albums if they are all still in one big pile where they started. I tried dragging them and all they do is duplicate into the album. Once in the album I tried to delete them from the library but it deleted them in both locations. I didn't think this was too much to ask. What are others doing. I just think that if I can't drag them, how could I possibly organize them. Are there any free programs that will do what I want.
Thanks Tony

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have say 500 photos in my library. I would like to organize them in albums. What I would like to do is drag 100 of them over to 5 different albums, leaving me with none in my library or all photos. I can't figure this out. What is the point of organizing them in albums if they are all still in one big pile where they started. I tried dragging them and all they do is duplicate into the album. Once in the album I tried to delete them from the library but it deleted them in both locations. I didn't think this was too much to ask. What are others doing. I just think that if I can't drag them, how could I possibly organize them. Are there any free programs that will do what I want.
Thanks Tony
Albums only duplicate. That’s their function. All photos will always remain in the photos library.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
As said above, photos won't entirely move into one album. The point of an album is to organise the photos but still have them all there if you want them.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Think of a large filing cabinet. You can organize documents into as many folders and subfolders as you want, but they are still all in the filing cabinet.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
When you move a photo into an album it doesn’t really duplicate. There’s still only one copy on the computer. What iPhoto actually places in the album is a small alias file that refers back to the original photo in the library. Only if you export a photo, by using the export command or by dragging a file to the desktop or another volume, is a photo truly duplicated. There are good reasons for keeping the original library view. You may not appreciate it yet but you will. Right now with only 500 pictures and 5 albums your request may seem reasonable. Talk to me when you have over 10,000 photos taken over the last 18 years, spread out through over 30 albums. It’s nice to be able to go back and search your whole library by date, location, faces, file type, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.