Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emma Jane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Completely new to iphoto so please forgive my vagueness! Dragged my iphoto library folder into a burn file in an attempt to free up space on my hard drive and burn a copy of my iphoto library.
In doing so I then returned to my iphoto library to see that all my pictures are no longer there and when I try to drag my iphoto library back into iphoto it won't let me, simply giving the warning: The file is unreadable and could not be imported ( The file is in the iphoto library folder ).. My pictures are still in the iphoto library folder in finder but my question is how do I get them back into iphoto?!! :confused: Any help much appreciated!!! Many thanks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Emma Jane said:
Completely new to iphoto so please forgive my vagueness! Dragged my iphoto library folder into a burn file in an attempt to free up space on my hard drive and burn a copy of my iphoto library.
In doing so I then returned to my iphoto library to see that all my pictures are no longer there and when I try to drag my iphoto library back into iphoto it won't let me, simply giving the warning: The file is unreadable and could not be imported ( The file is in the iphoto library folder ).. My pictures are still in the iphoto library folder in finder but my question is how do I get them back into iphoto?!! :confused: Any help much appreciated!!! Many thanks

Drag your iPhoto library from the disc (I presumed it's been burnt to the disc) to the desktop.

Hold down "option" when you open iPhoto and it will ask you to create a library. Select "Choose Library" Navigate to the folder on your desktop and select it.

If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas. But in the future, you shouldn't be touching the iPhoto Library folders, do all your disc burning/photo backing up from within iPhoto itself.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Emma Jane said:
My pictures are still in the iphoto library folder in finder but my question is how do I get them back into iphoto?

Are you saying that your iPhoto folder is still in YOUR.ACCOUNT>Library but the photos don't show up in iPhoto?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
what about "import to library" from within iPhoto? go to file > import to library > and then choose the folder where all of your pictures are.

Chundles is right - don't mess with any type of library in OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.