iPhoto how do I keep my folder structure, in my iPhoto library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andyloc, Jan 28, 2009.

1. andyloc macrumors member

Hi

Starting out on iPhoto 09.

At the moment all my photos are organised in folders, eg Holiday July 08, New year 07, Childs 4th B_day, Funfair March 05 etc etc

I would like to keep them in this order if possible, and start using iPhoto to tag, and organise them all.

Reason I want them still in folders is that I also have a Windows PC, Xbox 360, and want to be able to sort them on here to, which wont have iPhoto's organisation and so need the folder structure

Hope can help before I start
    cheers

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

In '08, if you go into Preferences, there's an option to do that. I'd guess it's the same in '09.

3. andyloc thread starter macrumors member

Theres an import pics to iPhoto library, is this it?

If so what happens tho the "keep originals" as iPhoot keeps originals imported and a new edited version

cheers

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Import them folder by folder to keep the structure.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

If you import it into iPhoto it will be moved and your non-Macs won't be able to access the photos so what you need to do is this:

iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced and make sure there is no check box in "Copy items to the iPhoto Library"

That keeps the pre-existing folder structure and file locations intact. iPhoto doesn't give you complete control over your photos still because edited photos get moved to the iPhoto library and occassionally folders get renamed but it's still accessible for you.

The big trick here is to get Google Picasa on your PC (and your Mac too while you're at it). Unlike iPhoto that is sluggish and chokes on missing files, Picasa monitors folders so if you move/rename/add files it recognizes where they are and adjusts its database.