iphoto: How to delete photos in the underlying external hard disk and iphoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikano00, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ikano00 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I know this is a reoccurring question, but I haven't found the answer to this specific flavour of it, so I hope you can help.

I'm using iphoto 09. After initially using it with default setup, I've now unticked the 'Copy items to the iphoto library' in preferences.
    I've got an external (NAS, one that is plugged in the router) harddrive with all my photos on it. I didn't want to pull them into a library on my mac, and putting the iphoto library onto the NAS drive didn't work either (it wouldn't load the thumbnails).
    So I've decided to leave the photos where they are and point iphoto to them without importing them (by unticking that box I mentioned, which was described in another post).

Deleting however is a problem. Ideally I would hope I can delete a photo in iphoto and it would be deleted on the NAS drive as well.
    I've read all the posts about deleting and then emptying the iphoto trash, which I did. I pressed all sorts of keys when deleting (cmd, alt, ctrl, shift etc. - didn't work either.

I hope you can help me out here! Thanks!

2. hawayetaze macrumors newbie

Deleting photos in iPhoto and hard drive

Hi,

I also have the same problem, and cant find anyway around it!

I import photos into iPhoto only referencing to my original files on my mac hard drive (i.e. un-ticked copy to iphoto library); but when I move them to iphoto trash, and then empty iphoto trash (and accept that "I am sure I want photos to be deleted permanently"), I still have the photos on my mac hard drive.

I noticed that iPhoto library size would increase and decrese when adding and removing the photos, so not sure if I still only add them to iphoto library and then delete them from there (or maybe this increae and decrease is only because of metadata iphoto makes for the imported photos!)

I am going mental with this issues, save me guys!

3. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

4. hawayetaze macrumors newbie