iPhoto -- how to make pix smaller

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LdcCrosswhite, Feb 15, 2009.

1. LdcCrosswhite macrumors newbie

Most of the photos I receive are huge, about 1MB or more. In order to put them on my rescue group's website, they must be much smaller, preferably 100-200KB. Where in the world can I do this on iPhoto?

The only way I've found is to email the picture to myself. There absolutely has to be a better/faster way.

Please help this new Mac user.

Thanks in advance!

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What version of iPhoto are you running?

Have you tried File>>Export?

3. LdcCrosswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhoto -- how to make pix smaller

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can also resize to a specific resolution if you edit the image using the Leopard Preview application. Under the Tools menu shoud be an option to adjust size. You can fit it to a preset like 1024x768 or 800x600 or set the resolution manually.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Just select Export from the Menu and enter similar settings:

[​IMG]

Change the resolution - I usually go by width. For emailing, nothing wider than 900 pixels, usually gives a file size of 200KB's, depending on image quality.

Remember you can select more than one photo, and press CMD+SHIFT+E as a shortcut to Export.

6. LdcCrosswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks! I will do that with pix I get from now on. Is there a way to adjust the size with the pix I've already downloaded into iPhoto?

7. LdcCrosswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

May I ask one more dumb question? This works beautifully -- thank you! How can I export back into iphoto? The export options don't include that.

Thank you in advance

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't understand. Do you mean you want to make a duplicate of the photo but with a smaller resolution? To do that you'd have to reimport the photo after you export it.