iPhoto how to use

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Highgord, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Highgord macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    Having recently purchased an iMac and installed iPhoto 09 I have a couple of questions,
    1. On uploading some photos from a SD card and adjusting them, where exactly does iPhoto save them?
    2. Is it possible to tell iPhoto to save my work to an external drive as I can see that the internal drive will become full if I continue to add my photos?
    Is it possible to keep the original photos unadjusted as well as the adjusted ones?

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

1. iPhoto saves everything in a giant "file" called iPhoto Library. It's located within your Pictures folder. If you right click (or cmd-click) on this file, you'll get a choice for "show package contents". If you do that, you'll see the file structure for the library. NOTE - be warned, you don't want to go messing around in this iPhoto Library from the Finder. It will corrupt the library.

2. Yes. Just copy the iPhoto Library to the external drive. When you've made sure that everything copied over correctly, rename the iPhoto Library on the internal drive. Make sure that iPhoto knows where the correct library is.

After ensuring that everything is OK, then you can trash the iPhoto Library on your internal HDD.

This is also a good time to back up all of your photos.

3. iPhoto automatically keeps the orignal photo in pristine, untouched form. All adjustments are done on a copy of the original. iPhoto handles all of the file management for you, so you don't have to keep track of the originals and the edits.

3. Krikke68 macrumors newbie

1. By default iPhoto keeps them in the iPhoto library in your Pictures folder.
    2. Copy the iPhoto library to another disk and start iPhoto with the option key down. This gives you the possibility to choose the library on your external disk.
    iPhoto always keeps the original photo. You can always do "Revert to original" on an edited photo.