iPhoto images show as big gray circle with a !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yaboze, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

WTF. I'm sorry, but I am upset trying to figure this out.

I have my images there, they show up in the thumbnails and when I click it, it shows a big black screen with a gray circle with a ! in the middle.

What is this?

2. Yaboze thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

Ok, apparently when copying the images out I must have moved them, I found them, but I don't know how to get them back, since the Pictures folder shows iPhoto stuff as an object of "iPhoto Library".

This program is very frustrating.

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

Sounds like iPhoto does not know where the originals images are. Are they on an external drive that is not currently connected to your computer?

It's possible you have disabled the option to copy the files into the library on import, so while iPhoto has created thumbnails of the images, it cannot display/edit the full image without the original drive/device (e.g., your camera) connected to the computer. Another possibility is that your library has become corrupted. You should still be able to retrieve your photos when you open the contents of the library package, but you will most likely lose all you customization (keywords faces, places, events).

4. Yaboze thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

There are pictures there, just a few that I had originally tried to copy that are messed up.

I have found them but I'm not sure how to put them back into the library, since the library doesn't seem to be a folder.

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

If it's only a few items, just delete the thumbnails and reimport the pictures within iPhoto (i.e., don't try to do this in the Finder)

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

You can try to rebuild your library.
    I think if you hold down alt+cmd when you open iPhoto it gives you a few options

7. Yaboze thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yaboze