iPhoto/iMovie Libary Sharing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by abhijit10425, Dec 7, 2010.

1. abhijit10425 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Newbie question...

Here's what I want to do. I have my master iPhoto/iMovie libraries on my iMac.
    I want to copy parts of them now and then onto my MBP and work on it, and then update the master libraries on the iMac with the edited photos/movies/projects.

Is this possible to do ? What is the easiest way to achieve this ?

Abhijit

2. AlaskaMoose, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2010

AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I don't really understand what you want to achieve, but I will assume that you want the share data between the two computers. Right? How about setting-up both computers to move stuff back and forth? If that's the case, go to the System Preferences (the gears icon in the Dock), then open the Sharing folder and set it up so that you can have access from one computer to the other, and vice-versa. I have two iMacs in my network, and share printers, folders, desktops, etc., but only allow "Administrators" to access these computers. Since I am the administrator, I can easily do this.

To access the other computer from this one, I use the Finder as follows:

a. I select, "Connect To Server" in the Finder's "Go" menu.

b. Then I enter my administrator username and password that belongs to the other computer, and them move whatever I want from this computer into the "Drop Box" of the other computer. This "Drop Box" is found in a folder called "Public."

The Public folder is always found as follows:
    a. Open a "Finder" window by clicking on the Finder icon at the Dock
    b. Then click on your user account (your name, below the little "house" icon at the left of the Finder's window
    c. When you click on your user or account name, you will see several folders on the screen, one of which is the "Public" folder
    --------
    So, once you have saved the data to the Drop Box inside the Public folder of the other computer, go to the other computer and open the Drop Box folder, and the data will be there.

Remember to eject the connection to the other computer when you finish. You will notice the other computer, as you look at it from this computer, at the left side of the Finder's window. Right below the account name you will see the eject button. Just click on it to eject, and the name disappears form the screen.

3. abhijit10425 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. VictorNT macrumors member

Just keep in mind iPhoto is mono-user. When you try to share the iPhoto library, you might end up to corrupt the iPhoto library.

5. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

But he can always "export" as many photos as he wants to a folder on the desktop, and then drag them to the other computer. Once there, he can launch iPhoto and import all the photos into it.

And you are correct that it's not a good idea to mix any of the libraries. Tha can create a lot of trouble.