iPhoto import dates "folder name"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NsK, Jan 5, 2010.

1. NsK macrumors member

When I imported my photos - it uses import date rather than date taken. iPhoto only has the date I imported the photos - any way of fixing this?

I want it to be saved under the date taken and not the import date

2. MacOSXCheetah macrumors newbie

hi,

how did u import your photos?

on my part, my photos are located in seperate folders by date taken. what i did was to drag and drop the parent folder of these folders into iPhoto '09 and iPhoto sorted it out on its own.

so, in iPhoto app, in the originals folder, i get various year folder and then the same dated folders. these dated folders are also taken as events by iPhoto.

hope my experience helps. ;)

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Stay out of the iPhoto Library in Finder! Changing anything there will cause iPhoto app to not be able to find your photos. Don't concern yourselves with what that file says, the only thing you need to be concerned with is what is in the app itself. In the app, the photos should show up by date taken, but if you need to change that, you can do so by clicking on "Photos" in the menubar, then "Adjust Date & Time". Just do yourselves and your photos a favor and stay out of the finder!

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

This.

iPhoto used to name the folders by the event name, but it doesn't do that anymore (unless you give it a name DURING import). If you don't it goes by import date. I preferred the old way, but it's all moot, since you're not supposed to b using the finder to look at the images. Just use iPhoto for all your managing needs. Need to find a photo? Do it through iPhoto.

You wouldn't go through your preferences folders or caches to find your web history would you? In a similar vein, you're not really supposed to go looking for media through your folders - you're supposed to use iTunes (I think the only reason the iTunes library isn't packaged up like iPhoto library is because of expectations of users).