iPhoto Import Problem - edit: problem solved

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wagg34, Dec 31, 2007.

1. wagg34 macrumors newbie

Hello. I am the proud new owner of a 24" iMac (2.4ghz, refurbished, OS X 10.5, fully Software Updated). I am very happy with it, and have had almost no problems. Unfortunately, there is one, and for me it's pretty big (a big reason I chose a Mac was for photography purposes).

All of my pictures when I was using Windows were on an external hard drive. When I got my Mac, I took the hard drive downstairs to it, plugged it in, and transferred all the pics onto the Mac's HD. No problems; worked fine.

Now though, when I try to import them into iPhoto, it gets the the very end (which takes quite a while with so many pictures), and says "Finishing Import", but gets stuck there with the bar half-way. There is no choice but to "Force Quit", and then no photos at all are imported.

I've tried with smaller numbers of files; single folders; single files - same problem. When searching and reading about the problem, I first found that it may be related to RAW files, so I took all of them out, an tried again - same problem. The only other possible cause I've found (which is actually quite likely) has to do with the fact that I had imported all my photos into Lightroom and added keywords/tagging when they were on my PC. If this is the problem though, I can't seem to find a solution.

Does anyone know anything else I could try? I would really like to use iPhoto, as it was quite a large factor in my purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have found a workaround solution to the problem. Thanks.

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

How about sharing with us how you resolved the issue so we can all learn?

Thanks!

3. wagg34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it turns out that it did have something to do with Lightroom. I'm not sure what exactly, but apparently photos edited in Lightroom add a specific kind of metadata. So I had to use another program (the homepage for ExifTool, which was recommended wasn't working, so I used Graphic Converter) to remove the specific metadata (XMP) from all my pictures (...took quite a while *sigh*). Note: It does keep all the "normal" metadata stuff, so don't worry about losing dates or camera settings, etc.

Obviously, it's far from a perfect solution, but until Apple and/or Adobe fixes it, it might help someone else here.

My experience with iPhoto since "fixing" it have been great though, and I really enjoy using it. :D It's a beautiful program once you can actually get pictures onto it!