iPhoto - Import Rolls from iPhoto 6 into new iPhoto 11

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robert-a-hudson, May 4, 2013.

1. robert-a-hudson, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

robert-a-hudson macrumors regular

Hi,

So I'm trying to get my new MacBookPro up and running with all my previous iPhoto images. However it's not so simple as I would have hoped... my scenario is as follows:

I have an old MacBookPro (6years old) running iPhoto6 with all my existing photos organised in Film Rolls. I have a new MacBookPro running iPhoto11.

I have copied the old 'iPhoto Library' folder onto my new laptop into my Pictures folder, and then opened iPhoto. It converted the iPhoto Library to be compatible with iPhoto 11, but didn't find any new photos. After some searching, I found out that opening with cmd-option gave me a few options. I have tired 'Repair Database' option, and it then found my photos (all) but refused to import about 10k saying they were not compatible (?).

So I now have a large number of my photos in the new version of iPhoto. But I would (a) like to have all of them imported, but (b) like to have them imported in albums/rolls or some order (rather than effectively a massive pile) given that I have about 10 years of photos and numerous rolls from various shoots.

Please can anyone help me? Is there some software that I can use to import the photos from an iPhoto 6 Library into iPhoto 11? I am dismayed that Apple appear to have left me in a complete and utter mess with this!

Can anyone help please?

2. robert-a-hudson thread starter macrumors regular