iPhoto Importing Advice Requested

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DA3411, Jul 10, 2010.

1. DA3411 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I hope someone could perhaps help me with an iPhoto issue. I am helping my friend switch from PC to Mac. Yes, a victory within itself!

He has a rather large photo collection on his PC, and he has everything in precise Folders as far as Named Folders and even Named Folders within Folders.

Does anyone know of a way to maintain the folder names and keep the folder relationships he currently has?

My first attempt was to import his whole library, but iPhoto did not do a good job of keeping form. What it yielded was a massive amount of "events" but still did not Ring true to his folder namings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DA

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

That's the way iPhoto works I'm afraid. If he wants his old folder system he can recreat it using the + button at the bottom left of the main window. There he can create folders and folders in folders, but he will have manually put his photos in to them.

Failing that he could always install Windows and use his existing photo app.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i would keep 2 copies of the photo collections, one importing all to iphoto then the other on an external drive or on bootcamp of windows :D