Iphoto Importing Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bafoote, Jun 3, 2008.

1. bafoote macrumors newbie

I just imported all my pictures from my Panasonic VDR d230 onto my mbp. I was looking at all the images in the finder and noticed that there is a duplicate of every image saved on my comp. Help im wetarded

2. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

Could that be the thumbs? Check the file sizes?

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Stay out of the finder! Don't worry about what's in there. iPhoto organizes things and keeps things its own way so that the app can work. Mucking about in there will cause you many headaches. Forget that file exists. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder.

That being said, iPhoto keeps the originals of your photos so that you can always go back to an unedited version and start over if you wish. It also keeps the "modified" versions -- photos that you have altered in some way. That is what shows up in the app. Thumbnails are kept so that the app will load faster and work better. Those files are what you are seeing. DON'T DO ANYTHING TO ANY OF THEM! Just let iPhoto do its thing and you do yours from within the app.

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

You may be referring to the originals say in a folder on your desktop and then copies in iPhoto directory.

If this is the case, check your preferences in iPhoto and see if you have asked iPhoto to copy photos from original source to iPhoto. If it is NOT, delete your iPhoto copies (via iPhoto and empty trash in iPhoto. Do not use Finder) and reimport with this option selected. If you don't copy to iPhoto, iPhoto will refer back to the original location which is a pain in the A** (iPhoto creates alias' or some crap that makes links to originals). If it is checked to copy into iPhoto, move the folder of the original source somewhere else and check to make sure iPhoto still works. If it does you can delete or move off the orginal source (desktop folder as example) as you have two copies, one in iPhoto Library and one on desktop.