iPhoto Importing Issues and Deleting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 93BlackSVT, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 93BlackSVT macrumors member

I am trying to import my photos from my digital camera to my Mac. I selected the photos I wanted to import, gave the folder a name that I want to have and then imported the selection. It appears to have imported all of the photos, but it did not put them all in the same folder. Pictures that were taken on different dates, even though in my selection, it put them in their own folders. Because of this, I have three questions:

1) How do I import the selection all into the same folder, no matter which date they were taken on?

2) How do I combine these folders now that I have multiple folders that I want to be a single folder?

3) How do I remove the pictures from my camera? I tried selecting the photos and dragging them to the trash, but that did not seem to do anything.

Thanks in advance!!

2. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

I figured out my first two questions, but I am still unable to delete certain photos from my camera using the Mac. :/

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

From your first post, it doesn't sound like you are using iPhoto to import your Photos. iPhoto will import and arrange your photos in Events in date order. You can then arrange/drag/group chosen pictures into folders/albums

If you are using iPhoto, after the import it should ask you whether you want to delete from the camera or not. If you do, then just click on Yes, or whatever. However, it is recommended by some, that you delete pictures on your camera, from you camera, rather than iPhoto, as it can sometimes cause problems with the camera card.

4. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I was using iPhoto. It did ask me whether or not I wanted to delete them from my camera when the import finished, however, I have read numerous posts saying to keep them so I could verify the import processed successfully. I did that and then made sure the photos were successfully in iPhoto. They are so now I am trying to delete those from the camera.

Please excuse me for bringing up Windows :) but I have been a Windows guy all my life until now. Windows allows you to open the camera, hand-select whichever pictures you want, and then simply delete them. It sounds like there is no feature like this on a Mac?

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Does your camera appear on the desktop? If so you can access it that way.

6. 93BlackSVT thread starter macrumors member

No, the only place it seems to appear is under "Devices" when iPhoto opens.

7. DockMac macrumors regular

Removing Pictures

1) Go to Applications, and open up Image Capture.
    2) Connect your camera. (You might need to wait for your pictures to load.)
    3) Select pictures desired and delete.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The way I do it in OSX and the way I did it in Windows, is to delete them manually from the camera. I have had, SD cards corrupted when allowing an app on a computer to delete photos on a camera. I know, there are a lot of folks that have not had problems, but there are some that have.