iPhoto - Importing photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fido94, Jan 31, 2009.

1. fido94 macrumors newbie

my primary reason for not being a heavy user of iPhoto is how it deals with importing photos. So I wanted to post this question to see if there's a solution for it.

When "importing" photos, iPhoto makes duplicate copies. I want to know if there is a way for iPhoto so point to where the pictures are (on an external hard-drive) and not having to make duplicate copies.
    it's strange because iTunes does not obviously make copies and instead point to where the files are.

Any thoughts?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it is possible.

Like iTunes, there is an option to not copy photos to library on import.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

iPhoto preferences -> Advanced -> Uncheck Copy item to the iPhoto Library.

As for iTunes.....it can also copy your files if you wanted it too....just as an fyi.

-Kevin

4. fido94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. weird enough, iPhoto still make copies despite unchecking the box. maybe it use them for thumbnails?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it makes thumbnails, as well as edited copies of any photos you choose to edit.

6. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

For the record I don't see why people have this hangup about letting the software manage the files and libraries. Who wants to sort and order the file structure? It's the predominant feature for me that these programs manage them for you so I never have to look at the actual files themselves. I do everything from within the program, and if I needed a copy for manipulating somewhere else, I bring them out then.

I suppose some people need the control, or want to be able to shift the files to another program or I guess if you interacted a lot with windows users and needed to make something with them else where...

7. fido94 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a control issue! :)

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I used to be the same way, but once I let iPhoto just handle the photos, and iTunes my music, I actually found time to do other things. I wasn't worried about whether all my photos were named and in the right folders or not. It was quite a good feeling.

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Agreed. I "let go" a while ago for both as well.

-Kevin

10. hakr macrumors regular

I am annoyed constantly by the fact that iPhoto, Aperture, et cetera, insist on "importing" photos into their programs, instead of just working on photos in preexisting directories.

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Then you should look into something like Picasa for Mac. That leaves your structure alone. I think Adobe Lightroom does as well.

-Kevin

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I prefer it. I have better things to do than fiddle around with folder structures and file titles - like actually working on my photos.

13. hakr macrumors regular

Indeed. I like the "Mac" apps, but I really don't understand why they were designed to "import" photos, rather than leave them where they are.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So the users don't have to worry about the actual files. If you can see the picture in iPhoto, why worry about where the photo actually is?

15. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Also, so you don't accidentally delete or move the photo, thus rendering the link broken. To delete a photo "accidentally", you have to open the iPhoto package, go to originals, search through the folders and delete it. If, for example, you pointed to a file in the desktop and deleted it as part of a routine cleanup, then you'd be missing that file.

I'm actually not that bothered by the thumbnails, but at the way it makes a full size jpg duplicate of every RAW file imported. Oh well, I'll have to wait until I get a new hard drive to move my library and move to Lightroom.

16. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Like I and others have said, giving up that control of you files is actually very liberating. Although, hypocritically, I still like to manage my documents to an extent. I think that's because I require multiple programs to open them, and edit them frequently.

Files like media are generally stable once you have them.

Seriously, just think about why you need to have them in your own file structure? It is most likely out of habit. I guess if you have a lot of photos, it's really discouraging to have to reorganise them all.

17. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

can you explain this for me? if I'm in iphoto and right click and show in finder it takes me to the iphoto library folder where the photos are, no duplicates just one folder where the pictures are!
    if your importing from a camera there would only be on copy of the picture would there not??

edit, ok I think I know what you mean same idea as itunes really, but i manually put my music into the itunes music folder so there's no duplicates, same idea??

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think the OP means....they have their photos stored on the drive somewhere. When you import into iPhoto, it copies the photos into iPhoto's library, leaving the originals where they were. Resulting in 2 copies.

-Kevin

19. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

yes I get it now then after importing just delete the original copy(s) save space and keep the pics in the one place, quite simple!!

20. hakr macrumors regular

Nope. I have a folder named "All Photos" and in that folder I have various subdirectories for "People," "Pets," Europe 2006," et cetera. When I import photos from my cameras, I send the images to the appropriate subdirectories. Easy to do, easy to find photos, easy to upload a couple of photos.

My way. :)

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I use smart albums in iPhoto, all I do is tag the photo with a keyword, and it gets added to the proper album, automatically.

22. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

But what if you you need to send some pictures to a friend, do you export (thus keeping all the keywords and rating you've created)?

I like iPhoto but it's annoying that it doesn't embed data.