iphoto is ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guitargoddsjm, Jun 12, 2008.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Is it just me, or is this true...

I decided to explore the iPhoto package to look at where my images files were actually stored, and I discovered (to my horror) that every image I had imported had a few copies. I tend to work with higher resolution images, so part of me appreciates that it makes smaller images for previewing/displaying/etc, but I hate how iPhoto makes copies ("original" and "modified") of every single original photo I have imported. One album is made up of over 50 17mb TIFF images, about 900megs in total. Two copies of these original images is an unnecessary waste of HD space...

Am I just crazy, or is this copying of pictures kind of unnecessary?

Is there a way to disable this too? I kind of like how iphoto organizes pictures for me, but I completely hate this...

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no you can't disable the copies. but it makes sense because if gives you the ability to 'restore' to the original if you wish. which really is a good perk.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its not designed to have you keep your original. You should import it from your camera straight to iphoto then let it take care of storing it. Or you can just import them from whatever folder they were in and delete the other copy and just use iphotos. It makes sense as some users would think once its "in" iphoto they don't need the other copy so they would delete that. If iphoto didn't keep a copy people would start getting mad. If that makes sense?:eek:

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

This used to frustrated me. However, in the days of hard drives where 1gig of space costs very little, the extra space this uses is a fair trade off (to me) for the added functionality.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

maybe you should look into Aperture with its nondestructive editing.