"iPhoto is saving critical information for your photo library"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple!Fre@k, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

I noticed that this box pops up everytime I go to close iPhoto and it's an extremely slow process. Each time I have closed iPhoto, it takes about 5 to 10 minutes to "save this critical information." Before I upgraded to my new 27" iMac, it would never do this and iPhoto would close right away. Is this standard now? Why does it take so long to do its thing and close???

2. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Yeah, I also started noticing this within the last couple of weeks.

Perhaps, it was part of a most recent upgrade to iPhoto. Unlike you, I have not switched computers and this is happening, so it must be part of a software upgrade.

Anyone know why or care to elaborate?

3. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just had a thought. Maybe it's because of the new Faces feature. When I clicked on it, it said there was 580 hours left for it to process! So maybe it's saving its progress on the Faces processing and once iPhoto has been left open for 500 (!) hours, we won't have to wait 10 minutes to close iPhoto each time?

Correct?

4. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Makes sense... I finally went through about a few hundred photos a couple of weeks ago and tagged most of the faces that I had not gotten through yet. So, your guess may be right, because now that I think about it, I started noticing this "saving critical info" window after tagging the faces in most of my photo library.

Great job figuring that out!

So, now that I have already tagged most of the faces, then what do you think it is saving? Do you think that iPhoto is now scanning faces of people in the background?

5. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup. I haven't tagged any of my photos and that's what it seems to be doing... consolidating photos in folders that have the same faces in them. I've got 15,000 photos so I guess it takes nearly a month for iPhoto to scan them all.

Oh, the days when we all have a supercomputer equivalent of today and scanning 15,000 photos takes 1.26 microseconds. :D