iphoto issue, hope this is in the right place?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrsjulie, Apr 17, 2009.

1. mrsjulie macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, help is greatly appreciated. I was downloading photos into iphoto today, (200 or so) I kept getting a message that my hard disk was full, and to make sure I had enough available space, so I deleted some older things. I had to keep doing it in batches, because of this. I got an error message that some data might be lost as well. Now when I go to edit the new photos, they all appear in the bar across the top, but some of them appear as a grey box with an exclamation point down below. What the heck? If they are in the bar across the top, shouldn't they be there? What do I do? Thanks in advance for help. I am new here, so if this isn't in the right spot, can someone kindly point me to the right board?

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

It sounds like the photos are corrupted somehow, but the thumbnail file is still intact. When you import photos in iPhoto, it creates a separate thumbnail for each image. I've had a few photos in the past with fine thumbnails but corrupted photos.

Just delete those photos and re-import them. If that doesn't work, then you can try rebuilding the library. Quit iPhoto and relaunch while holding down the Cmd and Option keys. A rebuild box will open asking you which files you want to rebuild. Check all of them and then hit the button.