iPHOTO ISSUE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DeeGee48, Jun 8, 2008.

1. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Okay---When I click on certain photos in my library to go full screen so I can use the editing tools, etc, I get a black exclamation point (!) as seen through a pair of binoculars! No color photo, just this white-black-grey thing. I have not seen any explanation of this in any of the books on iPhoto (including the new one by Robin Williams and her husband, John Tollett). So.....

WTF ?!?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That means that you don't actually have the image files anymore. Do you have a backup?

3. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Egad!

O Boy .... Well, I've got Time Machine ..... Can only hope they're there .... Any other ideas???

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

When you first imported the image into iPhoto, did you tell it to keep the file inside the iPhoto library or to keep the file in some folder outside of the library. My guess is you did the latter and then moved or deleted the file. It is far better to keep the image inside the iPhoto library where it is protected from operator error.

If you moved or deleted the file then maybe it is time to re-think your workflow, possably make a copy to CD as sone as the image comes off the camera.

5. DeeGee48 thread starter macrumors regular

DeeGee48

The Skinny

Just before I returned and saw your message, Chris, I did a quick run-thru of the library and found that most of the problem photos were either quickie snaps I shot with my cell phone, or Apple images. Nothing really that important. It looks like the really important stuff, shot with my camera, is intact. Whew!

But I'll follow up your suggestion and look elsewhere.

Thanks to both of you for unravelling a mystery...