iphoto "items" vs "all files"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *MEF*, Sep 2, 2014.

1. *MEF* macrumors newbie

I'm trying to sort out the mess of photos & videos on my computer. iphoto shows me that I have 4,658 "items" in 64 "events". When I look at "All My Files" it shows that I have 2,136 "images" and 223 "movies".

What I want to do is move all my media to an external drive and then delete from the laptop so I can delete files I no longer want and then re-import them to iphoto in hopes to get some kind of organization going on. I'm afraid I'm missing some files from All My Files ... I'm assuming the inflated # I see in iphoto is a bunch of duplicates, but how do I go about resolving duplicates??

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

All my files is just a search result and is highly dangerous you do anything with it at your peril and it's best switched off (preferences sidebar)

It's a list of all files including system files and is completely useless don't delete anything from it unless you are 100 percent certain it's a user file and not some system file, maybe a JPEG used by an app or something.

To sort out your duplicates in iPhoto there are apps you can get which will do that, you'll have to search for them.

If you really hate all your events (eg how they are organised) then there is no magic to rearranging you'll have to start again. Or forget events and start creating albums and dragging photos into albums, one photo can be in multiple albums.