iphoto + itunes files on #2 drive in mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rpaloalto, May 25, 2008.

1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

If I have my photos and music stored on a second drive,other than my boot drive. How will iphoto or itunes see this data? Will I have to do any thing extra, each time I open itunes or iphoto? If thats were I have the data stored will it know to look their?

For me I would have no trouble clicking on a different drive to retrieve the data.
    My wife would be annoyed however, with any extra steps involved.

Sorry for such a noobish question. I will be getting a mac pro soon. Just waiting for wwdc 08 .To see if any thing comes to the pro or the acd. I have had to jump through hoops to convince her, to let me get a pro instead of another iMac.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not happening at WWDC. MacWorld '09 will bring Nehalem and the only update to the Mac Pro since before MacWorld '08.

I have this same concern. I hope for a good answer!

3. rpaloalto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Well I also want the 23'' acd. So maybe apple will refresh that line.
    I can hope cant I?

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

if you hold the option key down when you open any of these applications (itunes, iphoto), it will ask where the library is or if you want to create a new one. You can then create the library on any disk (including a 2nd disk of a Mac Pro). These programs will then use this default location (unless you change it again).

5. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

the above poster got it..to move mine..i just move the whole folder be it iphoto or itunes from its current place and put it where i want it. then use the option on start up to choose the place where the files are at. then after u make sure its using everything correctly..u can delete the place the original files are. needless to say..u should always back everything up.

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Holy ****. I saw "'09" and was like oh, lol, that won't be for a few years then huh?

Then I realized it's 2008. Scary.

7. Chilz0r macrumors regular

I place an alias in the Music & Pictures folder on my scratch (home) drive to the location of my libraries.

8. rpaloalto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Thanks, I just tried that and it works.
    So easy a cave man can do it.

Attached Files: