iPhoto libraray lost...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by joe kudron, May 10, 2009.

1. joe kudron macrumors newbie

Be merciful! I am 99.999% computer illiterate and running on info submitted from my daughter long distance! I recently had my Mac upgraded (by daughter's friend) and one of the new features was iDVD. I tried burning a slide show with background music. I THINK that I may have clicked on "create new photo library", or something similar. I clicked, assuming I was going to put my pics to be burned in that. Didn't read any tutorials of course. Anyway, I got my new library - blank of any photos - and I can't get back to my original iPhoto library. All searches lead me back to the new empty one. Did I completely destroy my original one, with all my pictures on it, or is it just buried somewhere? ANY help finding my photos will be greatly appreciated! And I promise that I won't push any more buttons without reading the tutorials first...:eek:

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Any chance you have time machine set up (if you're running leopard)? If so, could just go back to a time when you had the library.

If not, I am sure someone here may have an idea

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Hold Option while opening iPhoto will allow you to choose a library ...

4. joe kudron thread starter macrumors newbie

I did this and was given two choices:

iPhoto Library
    iPhoto Library(default)

Opening each of these showed no photos. Going to "other choices", there is one choice, ".trashes",that has a very few pictures in it, some of the missing ones, but I cannot open them. And they are only a handful of the entire missing original iPhoto Library. All this started when I created a "new library" in iDVD. But even then, I should've been able to do that, and choose between the new library and old original library anyway. I think I am screwed big time. But the photos HAVE to be in there somewhere, right?!? If I EVER get them back, the very first thing I will do is back them up!!!:(

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Run a seach for jpg photos, you'll be presented with many of them but use that 3D folder view thing to cycle through the pics until you find them. At least that way you'll know if the pictures have been deleted or if the iPhoto library setting thing is just buggered.

6. joe kudron thread starter macrumors newbie

Did the jpeg search. Came up with a few that were saved in another file on the desktop, but I knew about those already. I think I am screwed. Good wake up call for everyone thinking they need to back up all their important stuff but haven't done it yet... :(

7. abassili macrumors newbie

HELP! I moved pictures to a network drive!!!

I was running out of space on the mac...so I moved my pictures onto a network drive (MyBook World). Unfortunately, now when I go into iPhoto, I see no thumbnails of the pictures...but if I clik on them individually, they come up. Sort of defeats the value of iPhoto!

Any guidance as to how I can 'point' iPhoto to MyBook World drive?

I read that you shouldn't mess around with the library...AFTER...I moved the pictures! Now...I have no way of moving them back. I just don't have the room on my mac drive to put the pictures there.

OR...do I just give up on using iPhoto and find something else to manage picture library? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:cool: