iPhoto Library 20+GB? Whats Wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fazzl, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I have 6k files in iPhoto shot with my 7.1 MP Point and Shoot and my library is 21 GB. Is this normal? iPhoto feels soo sluggish now...

2. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

The average JPEG file size for a 7.1 MP camera is 3.7 MB. Multiply that by 6000 and you get 22,200 MB. Divide by 1000 and you get 22.2 GB. There is your 21 GB iPhoto library right there.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can try to rebuild the library to see if that improves the performance.

Linky

To be honest, I cannot help think that a 22gb iPhoto library is going to be anything but fast. That many images, is bound to slow that puppy down.

While more designed for RAW images, have you considered some other applications like Aperture or LightRoom. You may get a better performance from them.

4. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

One other thing to keep in mind is that when you delete a photo in iPhoto, it goes to iPhoto's trash, not OS X's trash. Remember to empty your iPhoto Trash if you've been deleting photos.

5. illicium macrumors regular

iPhoto not 64bit yet

Maybe we'll see an improvement when iPhoto goes 64bit???

I am running the 10A432 version of Snow Leopard, and iPhoto and iTunes appear to be two of the few Apple apps that aren't 64bit in SL at least in this build.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

No, I think it will improve when iPhoto gets Gran Turismo'd.

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

yup i am using snow loepard too. also, i dl'd aperture last night and imported everything but is there a way to organize all the albums by date? that is the one thing keeping me in iPhoto.