iPhoto Library 34Gb. Export all photos and folder is only 12Gb. Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cyberheater, Sep 27, 2012.

1. cyberheater macrumors regular

My iPhoto library is 34Gb.
    When I export all of my photos the exported directory is only 12Gb. Why?

2. DAPWNER macrumors member

I'm not positive, but i'm guessing the iPhoto Library also keeps thumbnails and originals, whereas the exported photos are only the edited final versions.

3. cyberheater thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but is it normal? I'm trying to do some backups and I don't want to forget some photos.

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

When you exported did you select "Original" file type, or a specific format? If you select a specific format, you will get smaller files if you don't specify Maximum JPEG quality and Full Size. Also, if you select a specific format and you have video, all that will get exported for the video will be a thumbnail in the format you specify. Finally, your Library includes versions, thumbnails and previews as well, so they'll account for some of the difference but not as much as it appears you experienced.

5. cyberheater thread starter macrumors regular

I selected 'current' as the format.

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Do you have video in your library? Are your originals in JPEG or some other format, like NEF or CR2?

7. cyberheater thread starter macrumors regular

That's it. I've got quite a few videos in my library. When you export. It only exports the photos. Not the videos.

That explains the big difference in file sizes.

8. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

If you export "Original", it WILL export your videos "as shot". If you trimmed them at all, that won't show up unless you export "Current".

If you are trying to make a backup, you could just clone your entire iPhoto library to another disk.

9. scarred macrumors 6502a

Empty the trash inside of iPhoto.

Hold down the option key on startup of iPhoto and repair permissions. It could be that you aren't actually deleting photos when you think you are. To make sure you are good, select "Find picture in finder", then go and delete it/empty trash.