iPhoto library, adding all pictures at once

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zachhbc, Dec 26, 2008.

1. zachhbc macrumors newbie

Is there a way to have every .jpeg, .gif, and any other picture files all added to your iPhoto library in one clean sweep? I've looked through some of the options and such in the application, but haven't found any such thing.

If so, could I also do a similar sweep of my external hard drive?

2. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

You could use Spotlight to find all of your image files for both the internal and external drives, then just drag them into iPhoto.

3. zachhbc thread starter macrumors newbie

can you explain a little more in depth? this is my first mac in a few years, i've been stuck on a pc every since my mini's hard drive fried

4. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

I'll assume that the files you are looking to export (at least on your internal drive) are all in your home directory.

1) - Open a finder window and navigate to your home directory
    2) - Above where it says "Search" there is an oval, enter "jpg". This should find all of the jpg files in your home directory.
    3) - Now, there is a + sign next to a "Save" button, click the + sign
    4) - By default it says "Kind" is "Any" - change "Any" to "Images" then you can remove the jpg from the Search oval (do this by clicking in the oval and backspacing, if you click the "X" in the oval you'll wipe-out your search). You may also want to clear your browser caches before you do this as this search will find all images in your home directory.
    5) - Open iPhoto and drag the images into iPhoto.
    6) - Repeat on the external drive.

There may be an easier way that someone else knows about, but this is the way that I'd do it.