iPhoto Library Annoying

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammyman, Nov 19, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I can't see the folders and files in my iPhoto Library! It is really annoying! I have to click on the iPhoto Library icon and right click and then click "Show Package Contents" or something like that. Any way to set this up so I can actually browse the files?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The iPhoto library is meant to be viewed in iPhoto... I've just accepted that fact and use it whenever I need to find a picture I've taken. You can reveal its location in the finder from iPhoto by right mouse clicking it as well.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

But shouldn't you be able to at least take a peak if you like? Why would Apple prevent users from simply opening the picture folders? It makes it annoying when trying to upload a picture to a blog or something that you just uploaded. You know it is in iPhoto/2007/XXXXX/ but you can't really get there easily. ANNOYING!!!

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

If you don't want to actually use iPhoto as your photo manager, then don't.

No. iPhoto does not keep your library in a typical folder structure. So what? If you're using iPhoto, there's no reason to ever go in there. If you want to export a photo for use in something else, just export it from iPhoto.

Personally, I'm glad iPhoto manages the files in whatever way it wants. I can't keep track of hundreds of folders with thousands of files all named "DSC03271.jpg" anyway. I want a visual manager for the visual medium of photos. To me (ymmv) it just makes sense.

Do you feel the need to rip open your car's engine "just to peek around" from time to time too?

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Apple changed this in the newest version because so many users were messing about in the finder and corrupting their libraries. It is to (help) keep users from doing just that -- corrupting the library and/or losing photos. If you are using iPhoto as your photo app, there is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder. The export feature is your friend! Or, drag-n-drop is your friend. Just stay out of the finder.

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhoto DOES keep the library in a typical folder structure. When I am on my networked PC browsing my pictures, I CAN go right in and quickly find a picture and see the file structure. This SHOULD be optional for more advanced users.

7. akadmon macrumors 68020

You can elect not have iPhoto put the original files in the library (it's in the Preferences). That's how I do it. This does add another step, in that I first have to copy the files from the camera/memory card to a directory on my mac and then import the photos into iPhoto from that location, but at least I maintain full control of the originals and don't have to worry about losing all my photos when the iPhoto library gets corrupted .