iPhoto Library > Available HDD Space

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Applebytheballs, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Applebytheballs macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am new to the forums. Maybe you can help provide direction with a problem I've been kicking around for about 18 mos (since I bought my MacBook).

I have about 8-9 years of digital photos (from 4 separate PCs prior to MacBook / iPhoto), previously Picasa managed but basically things are a mess folder-wise.

The most ideal thing I can think of is to "scrub" all the photos I have (on my 2 external HDDs + MacBook) through iPhoto. Other than buying a desktop Mac with a 1TB HDD (and then doing this exact thing), can't I somehow do this using my macbook + external HDDs?

I have about 10,000 images on my MacBook today. I don't "need" to carry all those around with me everywhere I take my MacBook. I'd prefer, actually, to leave them home on an external drive and "lighten things up" a bit on my MB.

Steve Jobs has me by the balls. That's what my name means.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You could create an iPhoto library on your external, transfer some of your photos to it, and keep the rest on your internal. An app like iPhoto Library Manager can help a lot. It has the ability to "merge" libraries, so you could use that function to combine multiple libraries.

3. Applebytheballs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mary - I've not seen the iPhoto Library Manager before - anyone else use it with success? I can't be the only guy dealing with managing more photos than I have HDD space for on my Mac