iPhoto library : change account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FrenchPB, Dec 22, 2011.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I'd like to create a new main account on my iMac, make it the admin, then delete my existing account. However, I'd like to keep my current iPhoto and iTunes librares on the new account I'll create.

What should I do ?

Should I copy the iPhoto package from my current account to the new account on the iMac ? Should I share the account then delete my existing account ?

Thanks for the help.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I suggest as the first step to take your iPhoto Library from ~/Pictures and the iTunes folder from ~/Music and put them both into /Users/Shared. Then create a new admin account, log out of and delete the old one, then pull the two items from /Users/Shared and put them back where they will "live" in the new account. As long as you don't open iPhoto or iTunes before putting those two things back where they belong you shouldn't have any problems. You shouldn't need to de-authorize or re-authorize the computer for iTunes. Bear in mind that if you sync with an iPod (any model), iPhone, iPad you may have to Erase & Sync it on the next sync. Also, if you use the Mail, Safari, or Address Book/iCal applications and are NOT using iCloud you should copy/migrate that stuff to the other account as well...