iPhoto Library Conundrum

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoeKozy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. JoeKozy macrumors member

I have built up my photo library in iPhoto with the setting 'copy items into photo library' ticked, which has made it necessary to delete the originals (to avoid effectively having two copies of every photo on the machine). Unfortunately, this makes it awkward to view the photos anywhere else (in Finder would be most useful), the only way to look at them in their traditional hierarchical folder layout outside iPhoto is right clicking on my photo library file in finder and selecting 'show package contents'. Because of this i'm trying to transition back to a system where i would have all the photos in their original folders and iPhoto would use them from there (without copying them all into the photo library file), as it would be nice to be able to view my photos without having to use iPhoto every time. Is there an easy way of doing this without losing all the events and albums that have been created, or will i effectively have to build the library from scratch again?

2. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

If you just want to browse through your photos and have them organised then whats wrong with using iphoto. You can always rename your photos, maybe by using ABFR and then use spotlight to search for the ones you want by adding keywords into the filename. But I think using iPhoto is easy and clean. You could try downloading lightroom or some other photo organising software as well.