iPhoto Library Corrupted

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ingenious, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

After installing the QuickTime update, no photos appear in my iPhoto library when I open iPhoto (version 7.1.3). However, the pictures still exist when I browse through the Finder.

Is there any way to recover my library with metadata intact? I really don't care that much about albums, etc., just the dates in the pictures.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try first justing holding down Option and Command while you open iPhoto, and it will prompt you to repair the library. If that doesn't work, you can simply drag the photos out of the iPhoto Library folder in the Finder and then add them back into iPhoto. It doesn't like to add them while they're still in that folder, but they should be fine if you remove them first.

jW

3. ingenious thread starter macrumors 68000

ingenious

thanks for your reply, but I've already tried to get iPhoto to repair its database and basically, nothing happens. I have almost 9,000 photos (I, of course, was in the process of switching backup methods and have no current one... :eek:) and it only works on rebuilding for about fifteen seconds. It's obviously not actually rebuilding.

and i really want to keep the metadata intact with my pictures. if i just drag them all back in, all of the dates will be wrong. that's not good for four and a half years of pictures...

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 68000

ingenious

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

6. ingenious thread starter macrumors 68000

ingenious

Sorry to take so long to reply; I was on a music tour.

Anyway. Won't this make me lose all of the associated metadata? I don't care about Event names necessarily, just dates on photos.

7. Doodledoo macrumors regular

The date is built into the image file itself. I highly doubt you would lose it.