iPhoto Library File Replaced!! Need help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AnthoNYC45, May 3, 2010.

1. AnthoNYC45 macrumors newbie

Hi, so I was organizing all my pictures in the Pictures folder and I made a folder called "My Pics" under the Pictures folder. I dragged the iPhoto Library file there which contained all my pictures from like two years in it. Then I opened iPhoto and a new one came up not in "My Pics" but just under the Pictures folder. I dragged it to the my pics folder thinking it was the same but it was a brand new copy and I accidentally replaced the one with all my photos. Please help me all my photos are missing and it's if I never put anything in iPhoto. I don't have any back ups I feel like a retard someone help plz. Thanks in advance.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Can't help. When a folder is replaced, the stuff in the target folder is gone. If the photos are there, you will need expensive data recovery software, or a professional to recovery them. Stop using the computer until you determine whether or not you're going to attempt this. Quick search links:

"Macintosh data recovery"
    http://www.harddriverepairrecovery.com/

"Macintosh data recovery software"
    http://www.datarecoverysoftware.net/

Enter "those" and you'll find more links.

By the way, what happened is that the OS (or iPhoto?) looks for that folder in a specific place, and if it's not found, creates an empty one.

3. AnthoNYC45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I was thinking of that but nevermind. It happened and I just have to move on and learn from my mistakes. Thanks for responding and for the links too

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sorry. Make backups!

Use Time Machine with an external hard drive (moderate cost, high security) or buy a flash drive and copy things to it (low cost, moderate security).

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, the main one being, don't ever mess around with the iPhoto folders within your Pictures folder. Do it all within iPhoto.