iPhoto library gone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macinstache, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Macinstache macrumors member

Last night I was cleaning up my Mac and deleted through the recycling bin a bunch of stuff. Some of the stuff was in the Photo file in Finder. I could have sworn that the iPhoto Library wasn't with those photos but today I open iPhoto and it's asking to create a new 'iPhoto Library' or find an existing one.

I keep a copy on my external hard drive and the last save was a few weeks ago so it's not the end of the world. Where would this file go?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hello,

the default location for the iPhoto Library is the Pictures folder.

However, you can place it were you want.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That iPhoto file is not meant to be accessed manually in the Finder. You are supposed to delete photos from within the iPhoto app. It could be that by manually poking around in there you corrupted the iPhoto library.

4. Macinstache thread starter macrumors member

I didn't go into the iPhoto library. I don't even know how to look at those photos besides in iPhoto. What I did was delete random .jpgs that we're stored in the Photos folder that I previously copied into iPhoto

----------

I know but it isn't there. Does the Mac create auto backups every few hours even when not backing up through time machine. Do you know where to find those?

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

It does not.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In your first post you said "Some of the stuff was in the Photo file in Finder.", so I am confused exactly what you did. Can you perhaps explain.

Did you drag a folder of photos from Finder into iPhoto, then later delete from Finder? If you have the "copy items to photo library" box below UNchecked, those photos do not get copied to the iPhoto library.

[​IMG]

Maybe... did you have Time Machine on even though maybe the disk was not attached? If so, open Finder and navigate to the Pictures folder then launch the Time Machine star field interface and you may have photo data in Time Machines local backups. If Time Machine was off, this won't work.