Iphoto library larger in finder than in Iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qksilver, Feb 8, 2008.

1. qksilver macrumors newbie

Ok this is bothering me. I go to pictures iphoto library in finder and it reports iphoto as being 40GB but when I open the application on the bottom left corner it reports the library as being 30gb. This is with the most recent (ilife08) version of iphoto.
    Note: I previously had iphoto 06 and It did the same thing

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the most obvious thing to check would be iPhoto's trash--I don't believe that is figured into the size reported within iPhoto. Have a look, and if there's a bunch of stuff in there, empty it.

Also, keep in mind that iPhoto stores a bunch of additional stuff--thumbnails and unaltered original copies, in particular. I assume that the size reported within iPhoto does not include any of this--just the size of the pictures you're looking at, were you to export them. I could be wrong on that, but assuming I'm not, that may explain the discrepancy.

It's also possible, of course, that a bunch of "old" junk somehow ended up stuck in the library folder. There are ways (3rd party apps, maybe?) to clean it out, but I don't have any experience with doing that.

3. qksilver thread starter macrumors newbie

The trash is empty. Does anyone know of any ways to clean it up? im hurting for those 10 extra gb of space

4. jnolas2 macrumors member

I believe the discrepancy, as stated above, is that iPhoto probably reports what the size all the pictures that it displays. For me, iPhoto says I have 5.7 GB of pics, but the library in finder is 13.47 GB. Whenever you make a change to a picture, whether it's a simple rotating of the picture or any sort of editing, iPhoto saves a copy of the original in a separate place in case you ever need to revert back. So you probably have more than one copy of many of your pictures as well as various thumbnails, etc. I'm not sure if you can delete things from the iPhoto library through finder that won't corrupt the iPhoto database.