iPhoto Library-Making sense of it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamesjingyi, Sep 7, 2013.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

My iPhoto library has suddenly become ridiculously large and I dont know why... However I have not got time to sort through and delete etc so I would like to just put everything on my external HDD. I know there are pics in 'Masters' however what is in 'Previews'? Are these just smaller scale images I can delete?

James

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Really, there's not much you can do inside of the library that doesn't risk corrupting if.

IIRC, Previews are smaller versions of your pics that it uses to display. If you delete those, iPhoto will show black squares instead of your pictures.

3. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

How should I transfer the library then?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Make sure iPhoto is closed and then drag 'n drop the library package over to your external. No need to right-click on the library and "Show package contents" (which is what it sounded like you might be doing).

Next time you open iPhoto, hold the OPTION key down while you click the icon. Should bring up a window asking you which library to open. Point it to your external.

5. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

But for some reason, it always goes to 25.1MB and then stops and starts counting from minutes, hours to days... Is there something I'm missing?

6. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi