iPhoto Library Management - Mac and Windows

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jgdiablo, Dec 8, 2009.

1. jgdiablo macrumors newbie

All,

Let me give you a bit of a background of the computing environment at home:
    I have a multi-OS home with a new 27" iMac (QC, 8GB, 2TB) and Windows 7 based PC's scattered around the house.
    Of the Windows 7 machines, one is used for Windows Media Center connected to the TV - stream videos, music, pictures, etc. The other is a "desktop server" running 3TB of Raid 5 drives. Note: 1GB ethernet connection between Mac and desktop server

Now that I have iPhoto, I'm trying to figure out how best to manage my photo library on the Mac. What I've devised so far is:
    1. iPhoto configured so that it manages pictures without importing (referenced setup).
    2. My Pictures folder and subfolder (~20k pictures) are stored on desktop server so that my other Windows 7 machines can include in the Media Center Library.
    3. My iPhoto Library (reference) is also hosted on the desktop server (NTFS) for RAID5 purposes.

Although everything seems to be working fine, the key issue i'm finding is that when I delete a picture in iPhoto, it doesn't delete it in the folder structure. I have to bring up the menu, show it in Finder, and delete it there. A bit overly complex. Any way of doing this in one shot?

For that matter, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to make this a bit more seamless - managing all on the Mac, have data redundancy via RAID5, and yet make available for Windows 7 PC's?

Pass on your thoughts please and thanks in advance!

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Referenced libraries in iPhoto only work if the user truly understands that he is not allowed to mess with the library himself, ever, not allowed the change anything. iPhoto libraries are not designed to be shared.

I thinkthe best option is to let the Mac keep the library in it's own space -- not refererenced. then if you want to share the photos install a DLNA server on the Mac. If the iPhoto library is on a network drive that would work fine as long as it is still a managed library.