iphoto library missing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cturanli, Dec 26, 2007.

1. cturanli macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been using iphoto for a while. It's pretty different after getting used to Windows applications.

I moved the iphoto library to external disc. But it seems that my photos are still in my Mac. I can see the pictures in iphoto without external disc, but I can't find the library. It's not in my pictures folder or anywhere. I've searched for a very long time, but could'nt find anyting.

Please help, I'm confused and tired of searching the folder.

How can I delete this folder, and how can I use the external disc as a library.

Thanks in advance

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

First of all you need to check to see if the version on your external is workable. Open iPhoto whilst holding OPTION and select the library on the external. Is it all there? Are you happy with that library? if so, then delete the iPhoto folder in your Pictures folder. If you start iPhoto up whilst the external is not mounted then a new default library will be created in the Pictures folder, but it shouldn't take up terribly much space. You may need to use OPTION afterwards to select the library back from the external drive. :)

3. cturanli thread starter macrumors newbie

but iphoto library missing

Thank you very much. But the problem is I can't delete the iPhoto folder in my Pictures folder because it's not there. I can't find the iphoto folder. I can view photos but the folder isn't there, actually I've searched all harddisk and there is no iphoto folder in my Mac.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well what is there? Where are the pictures kept at the moment? Maybe a screenshot will help. :eek:

5. cturanli thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing. Pictures folder is empty. But I can reach the pictures through iphoto.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So what's the problem? Isn't that what you wanted? To check that iPhoto is accessing your external drive for its library, press CONTROL and click on a thumbnail. Then select Show File and it'll pop up a Finder window with the image. Press COMMAND and click on the window's title to see its path.

7. cturanli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your answers.

I'm little bit confused. Yes it's directed to external drive, but I don't understand. Still :) The external drive is not mounted, but I can still see the pictures in iphoto. How possible?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know. Use the method I described earlier to find them. :)