iphoto library not same as iphoto folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 88888888, Feb 2, 2009.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Ok, i have a question. My iphoto library shows 14 gigs but when i look at my iphoto folder it says 20 gigs. How do i make it so the folder is in sync with my iphoto?

thanks.:confused:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The iPhoto Library in ~/Pictures includes not just the image files themselves but also thumbnail data and album data. Too, it includes a Modified folder with images that you edited with iPhoto, either by retouching color-wise or rotating the images or removing red-eye. Don't be concerned with the difference in sizes.

3. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^
    wait, a lot of my photos were rotating photos. does that mean there are a lot of repeats..? I want to free up as much hd space as possible.. what can i do?

Thanks

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

First and foremost, do nothing in the finder! Messing about in there will create many problems, deleted photos, corruption and what not. iPhoto organizes things so that it can work for you, and if you mess with its way, you will not be happy.

Have you considered putting your photos on an external drive and accessing them from there? The instructions are here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229