iPhoto library on external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by k2k koos, Mar 26, 2009.

1. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

With the ever increasing size of my library, as well as the increased resolution (and hence filesize) of individual photo's on the latest cameras, I would like to store all my photo's on an external HD, instead of the build in HD of my Mac.
    This is very easily done in iTunes for my music collection, but why on earth does iPhoto not offer the same simple storage option? Yes I know there is a way to copy all my stuff onto an external drive, and then hold the 'alt' key at start up of iPhoto to select a library, but I don't want to have to do that all the time, so Apple, please sort this out. Maybe we can try and persuade Apple to build in this function in the next version of iPhoto, so the more replies this thread gets to that regards, the better, maybe time for a poll??
    :apple:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't have to the that every time start iPhoto.

Just copy the iPhoto Library wherever you want, and after that delete it from the original folder (Users/You/Pictures/iPhoto) and the next time you start up iPhoto, it will ask you where the Library is or if you want to create a new one. Just point to the new location and the next time you start iPhoto, it will open your chosen library again.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

There is an easy way to make this work like you want. Put an "alias" in the normal location where iPhoto would look for the library and have it point off to the external drive. Go to your external library and do right click "make alies" the drage it to the system disk. Patch upi the name and you're set to go.

EDIT: See above post, it's easier. I set up my system ages ago before that worked.