iPhoto library over NAS query

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arnabdas, Mar 30, 2013.

1. arnabdas macrumors newbie

I have a huge collection of photos I have taken over the years and because I own a macbook air 128gb, it would be foolish to store any part of it on the device. i have therefore stored it all in a NAS device connected to my router. now i have added the files from there to iPhoto without copying anything to the macbook air ssd. a few queries therefore arise. do be kind enough to clarify if youre in the know.

1. why has my free storage reduced (by around 1gb, my photo collection is around 8gb) after importing photos on my macbook air via iPhoto even though the files still reside on my NAS device?

2. what happens when i edit a photo in iPhoto? does it store the resulting image in the NAS drive or in the SSD of macbook air?

Thanks.

2. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Your iPhoto library file will still be on your MBA. My photos are many GB but my library file is 30+ GB

You can change your iPhoto library location to your NAS - or create a new one, however this will need you to be connected to your NAS to be able to use iPhoto.