iPhoto library question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skinnylegs, Feb 21, 2011.

1. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Just replaced my iMac with an 'Air yesterday. BTW, don't say it. I know the new MBP's are coming out this week but Apple does offer a 14-day refund/exchange with no restocking fees. :)

Anyway, I offloaded all media files (pics, songs, movies etc.) to an external HD so I didn't fill up my 64 gig SSD drive on the 'Air. With iTunes, you have the option of populating iTunes with songs, playlists etc. without physically adding the files to the local HD. As I said, I keep them stored on the external HD. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to do this with iPhoto. Am i missing something? I really don't want to add 30 gigs of photos to the 'Air. I'd like the photos to physically reside on the external HD and be available when said HD is connected. I'd also like pics. I download off my camera to be added to this library on the external HD.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. FBCMoyock macrumors newbie

iPhoto Library question

Copy your iphoto library to your external drive. Hold down the alt/option key when you open iphoto. It will ask you which library you want to open. Select "Other Library" navigate to your external drive and select your library. I keep three or four libraries in different categories so they don't get to large.

3. skinnylegs thread starter macrumors 65816

skinnylegs