iPhoto library question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Smileyguy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

I did a clean install of Mavericks and forgot to back up my iLife apps, whoops. :rolleyes:

So now I've got any iPhoto library but no iPhoto. I'm a bit broke so would rather not be spending my money on photo software right now, but I don't suppose there's anything I can do to get my photos back without buying iPhoto, is there?

Thanks.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If you know the location of your iphoto library you can actually view the contents of the library and see your photos.

Did you use the MAS to purchase any of the software? If so, you can re-download and install. I would check the store first to see if iPhoto is up for you to download and install before you mess with the library.

3. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Search around in the forums. There are posts about how to download iLife free even if you don't have your original software.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you've done a clean install then, unless you iPhoto Library was on an external drive, you've overwritten it with the clean install, and your photos are gone. Re-installing iPhoto won't help.

If you just installed on top of your last system, and you have the iPhoto Library folder, do a Right/Ctrl click and select "View Package Contents". All your pictures will be in the Modified and Original folders.